Saturday, July 11, 2009

JONESIN' WITH PURE JOY!
I wouldn't consider myself a true afrobeat fan, however, I am a music fan, so it's not shocking that I totally dig Joy Jones' new album Godchild. What is afrobeat you ask? It's defined as a combination of Yoruba music, jazz, highlife, and funk rhythms, fused with percussion and vocal styles, popularized in Africa in the 1970s. I think if you currently enjoy the rhythms of reggae music, afrobeat shouldn't be that hard for your ears to digest. The beats on this album also have a nice mixture of soul and electronica mixed in there as well. Everything comes together nicely overall. Joy gives the production on her album purpose with messages of love, hope and prosperity. Positivity without excessive preaching is always welcome around these parts. I wish we had more albums like this one. If you want to diversify your growing music collection with a little island soul flavor, give the Godchild Joy Jones a listen. You just might like what you hear...


Checkout Joy's video for "The Joy" below:

Get more familiar with Joy Jones by checking out her web sites:

www.myspace.com/lovejonesrecordings

www.lovejonesrecordings.com

No comments: