Thursday, April 10, 2008

SOUND SPOT: OLIVIERDAYSOUL
Who's got the funk, we got the funk...I'm gonna make if funky for you! Seems like back in the day everybody prided themselves on being the funkiest from Rick James to Parliment-Funkadelic! Funk had its place in the good ole' days of live instrumentation, but these days the closest we've had is the G-Funk era, which was pioneered by Warren G. Nah, let me stop telling the truth, because funk is still alive and well, and next up to bat is my dude OlivierDaySoul. ODS is hails from D.C., which just happens to the hometown of many of my favorite artists in the business right now like Wes, Wayna, Kev and many others. Olivier has a funky, funky sound, and it's very similiar to that Platinum Pied Pipers flavor with a smidget of vintage Prince. The funniest thing about this kat is that he truly sounds like Rick James on some of his tracks. It's effortless, so I am assuming that his sound is natural and not some gimmick type trickery like T-Painful? Olivier's funky fresh futuristic space has arrived, so get on board (no Great Space Coaster)...

Olivier is doing his thing right now. I have heard his voice on several tracks from hip-hop to soul, bringing that funky gym sock funk vibe to every track. Mr. DaySoul recently dropped his musical experience entitled "Brain" to funk up your life a little bit. If you are looking for something funky fresh for the Spring season, this will be a good place to start. Trying to describe this project would be unfair, because it's not one of those simple albums that can be put into a two sentence breakdown. With each listen I hear something new that I missed the previous times. Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think about it. Then checkout his forthcoming album entitled "Kilowatt" that will be released in May of 2008, but it currently available via iTunes right now!

To hear some sounds from this man, check out his myspace page:

www.myspace.com/olivierdaysoul

Then I dare you to tell me that he isn't funky enough for you!

No comments: