Tuesday, June 19, 2007

MTV'S HOOD DANCE LESSONS!
As I was in the process of station surfin' the boobtub the other day, I came across what I thought was a comedy spoof on a cheezy hip-hop exercise video or a lame dance show? Initially, I thought I was watching an old episode of Mad Tv, because the host of the show looked like Lil' Romeo with a bad wig on? I patiently watched several minutes of the urban like dance show waiting for the laugh track to kick in, but it never did. Since, I only have basic cable at the cribo, it took me a minute to realized that I was actually watching MTV, and this show I thought was comedy spoof was actually real?? I immediately became embarrassed for some reason? The show is called "Dances From The Hood" and it's hosted by a hard New York bred around that way girl/hip-hop dancer that goes by the name of Tweetie! The concept of the show is the breakdown and illustrate the most popular dances from the urban music scene for viewers at home. While Tweetie breaks each dance down step by step, there are a bunch of extras in the background trying to bring these moves to life for the viewers? In between the dance breakdowns, the extras are encouraged to get busy dancing on the fake MTV dance club set, which is really where the true comedy begins. If you haven't seen the actual show yet, think "American Band Stand" meets "Dance 360!"

What is "Dance 360" you ask? I'm glad you asked dammit, because that is one of the wackest dance shows of the 21st century, but honestly it's some of the funniest shyt I've ever watched on television! The hosts of the show were Fredro Starr (Onyx fame) and Kel Mitchell (Good Burger) who were literally the Abbott & Costello of the television dance world for about a year kept me in stitches every episode! Words cannot do Dance 360 any true justice, so by way of Youtube...I present to you a classic moment of DANCE 360 for your viewing pleasure! Beware: Watching these clips may bring on an uncontrollable urge for you to jump up and do the "Cabatch Patch" or "The Running Man" in front of your computer monitor, so make sure you have plenty of room before pressing PLAY on these three clips!






After seeing those clips, aren't you devistated that this show was ultimately canceled in 2005? Now, that you have been thoroughly entertained, lets get back to hood dancin' from MTV. Just like so many other shows in the past, MTV has provided yet another television program to help non-blacks understand and relate to portions of the urban culture a little better. A couple of years ago MTV had a show that broke down the lyrics of rap songs that were hard to comprehend, and now the same is being done for the urban dance scene. I totally understand that dance shows like these are personality driven, because without a strong presence it would be a total bore. I enjoy strong personalities, but this host Tweetie seems a little crazy? Either she's touched or she's on some kind of unprescribed substance? I can't put my finger on it, but I think you'll fully understand what I mean when you see a couple of the episodes. I don't see this show lasting too long because the dances that are being taught seem a little too simple? I mean how hard is it to teach somebody how to do the "Chicken Noodle Soup" or the "Snap Dance!" The show's concept is good, but overall it's seems a little wackaliscious in my personal opinion, but check out a couple of episodes for yourself by clicking-->DANCE HOOD...and see what you think??

Why can't BET be more like MTV?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I was channel-surfin TODAY and came across this! They are too funny!

Anonymous said...

Damn, ole girl does look like Lil Romeo with a bad weave..LMAO! I remember that Dance 360 show too..LOL! Corny, corny, corny...

Anonymous said...

This post is mad funny dawg! 360 was a really bad show, but this MTV Hood thing might work out??

Anonymous said...

Its funny because I came across the MTV show this past weekend and thought it was the worst thing evar. Dance 360?? God damn..man. Thanks for the funny Youtube joints

Anonymous said...

LOL!..I came across the same show, on friday. I thought, what kind of shit is this..lol...the girl was acting like she was on some drug! reaaal ghettooooo...I remember dance 360!..lmao, "Head 2 head"..wow.