Wednesday, February 18, 2009

MR. RIGGINS IS IN THE PLACE!
How many of you folks know about my dude Karriem Riggins? If his name doesn't sound familiar, I'm quite sure you are very familiar with his production. If you listen to artists like Erykah Badu, Common, Kanye West, Talib Kweli and Dwele, then meet the man behind some of their hotter beats. I'll leave it up to you to find out which tracks he produced. Yes, Mr. Riggins definitely digs some hip-hop and soul, but his music roots began in jazz. Karriem is a respected jazz drummer, and he's been a member of groups like the Ray Brown Trio and Milgrew Miller Trio. Outside of those kats, Karriem has played and recorded with legends like Donald Byrd, Herbie Hancock, Roy Hargrove and Bobby Hutcherson. Even though he lives in California these days, his heart still lives in Detroit, where he was born and raised. I thought I'd just throw that little tidbit in there for you...

So, I'm filtering through the tons of unopened email that I have, and I come across a music gem called "Music Kalideoscope" showcasing some of Karriem's tracks on the production tip. It's actually a mix (in one MP3 file). I don't know when this was actually created, the names of the tracks or why it's so dope. I can't even remember who sent it to me, but thanks away.
Now, I can share it with you folks.

After listening to this joint, go and tell Karriem thank you!

www.karriemriggins.com

www.myspace.com/karriemriggins

No comments: