Wednesday, August 29, 2007

SOUND SPOT: STACY EPPS
I'm a lucky bastid, so I get to hear so much music that it’s difficult for me to remember who’s who in many cases. As some artist’s names go in one ear and out the other, there are a few that catch my keep my attention like Stacy Epps. I know her name doesn’t sound a familiar to most of you, but some of you have heard her voice and probably didn’t even know it? If you consider yourself a true hip-hop fan, then you have definitely heard the Madvillain (M.F. Doom & Madlib) album “Madvillainy” I hope? That album is without a doubt classic underground material, and it features Ms. Epps on a track called “Eye.” The track is pretty short in length, but it was enough for me to take notice. It didn’t dawn on me at the time, but I had heard her vocals even earlier in her career when she was part of the underground soul duo Sol Uprising. The group released their only CD “Sol Power” back in 2003. The album was an independent release, so most folks never knew it existed. The vibe of the “Sol Power” project was soulfully raw and gritty with some hip-hop influences lurking in the background.

It’s been about 4 years since Stacy Epps has done anything major, but now she’s back as a solo indie artist. She just released her debut solo album titled “Ruff Draft,” which is available for purchase on her Myspace page. You might be thinking, why should I be interested in hearing this Stacy Epps album when I’ve never heard of her as an artist before? I would probably be thinking the same thing, but when you see who’s handling the production on her new joint you just may get very interested? The album producers include Madlib, M.F. Doom, J Dilla, Muhsinah, Jneiro Jarel, DJ PudgEmcee and Apex. Ms. Epps is pretty good with them beats too, so she laced a couple of tracks herself. Personally, I am already a fan of Stacy Epps, and maybe you will be too! So, show Ms. Epps some e-luv by checking out her Myspace page I have listed below and hear what you think.


Stacy Epps Links:

www.stacyepps.com

www.myspace.com/stacyepps


Listen to album snippets here

No comments: