Wednesday, March 11, 2009

THE WATCHMEN'S CRAZY SOUNDTRACK!
Just a few days ago, I was truly hyped to see the mega-vigilante flick called "The Watchmen" at the movie theater. Outside of shapeshifting music on this site, one of my other hobbies is catching flicks at the movie house. So, I beat the sun up and got my gear on, and bolted out the door into the rain heading to the first showing on that Saturday. My goal for going so early was to beat the loud talking, cellphone texting, seat kicking, Reese Cup family pack opening, folks that mess up the movie going experience for everybody to the theater. I made it inside building, and I eventually spotted the row that provided the best viewing position for my tastes. Quickly, I sprint over to the perfect stadium styled seat (not too high and not too low), and began counting down the minutes until the lights dem. Finally, after the 13th movie preview ended, "The Watchmen" movie began. The atomosphere in the movie house suddenly got serious. The opening scene was engrossing. All eyes were focused on the screen, watching the storyline unfold. Anticipation was definitely high as the movie rolled along for several minutes, and then it happened...

All of sudden, the KC and The Sunshine Band's song "I'm Your Boogie Man" began to play during an action sequence in the movie! That just negatively changed the whole mood for me and many other movie goers that were definitely not in a 70's disco mood. Being that the movie was dark-themed-fantasy-drama, who thought that disco music was appropriate? Personally, I am a fan of KC and the boys, but their music distorted the feel of the movie. It got even worse when tracks from Jimi Hendrix, Billie Holiday, Simon & Garfunkel, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" kept popping up at odd times during the movie as well. I know many of you reading this post probably don't know these artists or their music, but trust me when I say that these songs almost ruined the whole movie for me. If and when you finally deicide to watch this movie, it is possible you may feel the same way...

This was the first time that I truly realized how important music is to a movie. Most of us take it for granted, but when a soundtrack is poorly done, bad things happen. I mean really bad things! I won't bother sharing my review of the actual movie at this time. I don't want to spoil the experience anymore than I already have for those that haven't seen it yet.
Just be prepared because you have been warned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo Soundnexx.....you're still killin it baby...I get home from work every Thursday and visiting your site is on my regular programme to see what's going on...I feel like we must be brothers from another mother ..cause all you'll shit is right on point with what I'm listening to right at the same spot....anyways wasn't sure how to e-mail you but didn't want you to miss this album ...on Raw Fusion label...Artist 'Hygher Baby'...title 'let me play u something u have never heard ' described as killer future soul....make sure you get the UK version though not Japan as it's got an extra track and it is the best one! Hope you get this message...you can listen here http://www.juno.co.uk/products/HYGHER-BABY/Let-Me-Play-U-Something-U-Have-Never-Heard/343242-01/

nuff respec..hit me up let me know you got the message It's payback time Julian UK Massive

DJ SoundNexx said...

@Julian UK - Thanks for coming thru and supporting the movement playboy! It's greatly appreciated. As you've read, I've been down with Melo for a minute now, so I definitely know about his Hygher Baby collabo joint. It's a pretty good album too, but I'm not seeing much about it, so I'll do a separate post promoting it when I get a chance.

Good look on the Juno link too. If u want to holla at me via the email, it's soundnexx@gmail.com

1