Friday, July 28, 2006

SOUNDSPOT: MARVA KING
When I first stumbled across Marva King, I recognized her face a little, but I didn't know where from? Then I thought, "She probably just looks like somebody else, since female R&B clones are in these days?" I actually thought she was a new artists that had just popped up on the scene? After a little investigation, I quickly realized that she was not new at all. She's actually a vet. I was also pleased to discover that Marva King is from Flint, Michigan, which is not that far from Detroit. You know I always got love for my fellow Michiganers! Unknown to me, she's been making major moves in the entertainment industry for many years actually. She's worked with a lot of major talent over the years. Can you say Michael Jackson, Prince, Stevie Wonder, Phil Collins, Tupac, Lionel Richie and Ms. Chaka...Chaka Khan? She also dabbled in the gospel arena as well by working with the legendary Clarke Sisters and Andre Crouch. Marva has worked with many major figures over the years, but she is probably most known for her role as Helen in the Tyler Perry play and DVD entitled, "Diary of A Mad Black Woman." I need to watch that again! Outside of being a great singer and actor, she's also an author. She recently had a book published entitled, "Diary of A Black Woman: Medea and Me," which talks about her life on the road while she performed with Tyler Perry. Talk about multi-talented! She's finer than frog hair too, so what more can you ask for?? Good Googly Moogly!!

Ummm, where was I? Oh yeah, her music! Marva has already released an album overseas titled, "Soul of Brazil," which Warner Brothers Records has planned to release here in the U.S. very soon? She has just finished recording her new album, "Soul Sistah" that was just released overseas back in early June, and it will also be released in the United States later this year. Marva is not your typical neo-soul/R&B singer. She brings a diversity to urban music that is still a limited commodity in 2006. Her music is refreshing and uplifting, while incorporating all forms of soul. One of the songs off of her new album that immediately caught my ear is "Know You!" The groove is so hypnotic, plus it's a duet. I don't know who the brotha is trading verses with Marva, but I'm diggin' it! Another nice track is her remake of Minnie Ripperton's "Baby This Love" song. I don't normally like remakes, but I like this one for some reason? There are a few more standout joints on this album, but I'll let you find them. In the infamous words of Nate Dogg..."It ain't no fun if the homies can't get none!"

Outside of the music, acting and her book, she also has a calendar you can purchase as well from her website! It only covers the months of August 2006 to January 2007 though, but who really cares? Nobody really buys a calendar for the monthly layout anyway, it's all about the photos. Marva keeps it classy and not trashy in her pics too. Damn!!! If I wasn't so cheap, I'd be all over this calendar with the quickness....?

Okay, the rest is up to you? Checkout Marva King's website and listen to some of her songs from the new album.

Marva King's Website

No comments: