Thursday, June 26, 2008

INVINCIBLE'S SHAPESHIFTING!
I've been meaning to do this post for a few weeks now, but it slipped my mind. It's never too late to speak on a hot emcee. Especially, a dope female emcee! Like most music lovers in America, I was watching the BET Awards Show the other night, and I was sad when I saw the nominees for the BEST FEMALE RAPPER award. Has the female rap game fallen off that much that artists like Lil' Mama, Trina and Missy Elliott are the best of the five female choices? My 3 favorite female emcees right now are Jean Grae (supposedly retired), Apani (been absent for a minute), and Invincible. Invincible has been on the come up for a minute now, but she's finally released her first album entitled "Shapeshifters!" She's been working with several local Detroit artists for years making her name around the way, but now she's finally releasing a project that will hopefully make her an household name around the world. The greatest aspects about Invincible are not just her lyrical skills or delivery, but the subject matter she spits about. She can be rap about conscious and political topics without sounding corny or preachy. That's what hip-hop is truly about. It's refreshing too! I get tired of hearing so many female rappers telling me how good their coochie is, and how fat their ass is in every song! That sh*ts played like Guess overalls and penny loafers...
Here is a little Shapeshifters album sampler you can check out to hear what Invincible's vibe is like...
Purchase the album here:

No comments: