Tuesday, March 20, 2007

EL-P "I'LL SLEEP WHEN YOUR DEAD"
I'm back on my indie hip-hop grind. Everytime I try to walk away, they keep pulling me back again dammit! I've put my hip-hop hat back on for good reason this time though. My main man El-Pee is back with his official second album release called "I'll Sleep When You're Dead." For those of you that have not frequented this site for long, or you just happened to Google the word "fresh" and this site popped up, El-P is one of my top 10 hip-hop producers for sure. Yeah, he may not be the hippest looking caucasion kat in the bunch, but the boy sure is funky! His drum patterns are sick! This is just another example of why you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. The same reason you shouldn't judge this dope album by its cover either. I stared at this cover for like 2 minutes before I realized that it was a pic of a Phoenix. El is notorious for his metaphoric and symbolic ways of expression, so I always expect the unexpected when I listen to his music. He literally takes your musical ear to places that it has never heard before, which is scary to a lot of folks. Scared listeners tend to reject rather than embrace this rewarding El-P experience. Love it or leave it alone.

If you El-P fans thought "Fantastic Damage" was crazy, you definitely need to feast your ears on this album. The new album is composed like one long story chopped into 13 short stories that all work together to make up the plot. Like most albums where you tend to skip around certain tracks, this joint is enjoyed better when played altogether in sequence. What I enjoy about El-P the most is that he's a realist with a very strong political understanding. While most of the world has been conditioned to be spoon fed the BS of the world, El sneaks into the kitchen with a camera to expose the true lies. Then he shares his findings with world in his music, if you choose to really listen. I consider El-P to be a revolutionary artist and this is definitely a revolutionary album. These are the types of albums that keeps me saying the saying that "underground hip-hop" is alive and well, while others think hip-hop is dead. The saddest thing about this whole situation is that this album will go unheard by the masses, while the Lil' Wayne track featuring Lil' Romeo, Lil' KeKe, Lil' Flip, Lil' Jon, Lil' Kim & Lil' Nuk-Nuk entitled "I'm Not Too Lil' Foe Dis Shyt" will be played 40 times a day on the radio! Honestly, if you dig original hip-hop and you are really fed up with the ass shakin', gun pullin', wagon wheel rim ridin' type rap music that is force fed to us daily, put your ears on this. If you check it out and you hate it, I can respect that. Everyone has their own taste when it comes to music, but atleast you took the chance.

LISTEN TO THE NEW ALBUM HERE:

http://tinyurl.com/24nl5d

EL-P's MYSPACE SITE:

www.myspace.com/elproducto

MORE ON EL-P HERE:

http://tinyurl.com/224coo


No comments: