Sunday, March 05, 2006

JAY DEE LIVES ON THROUGH HIS MUSIC!
Since, the untimely death of James Yancey (J-Dilla) on February 9, 2006, I have read several articles and emails about the musical genius! It has amazed me how many people really loved and appreciated Jay Dee's music over the years. Reading and hearing so much about Jay Dee just solidifies my overwhelming appreciation for his musical abilities even more! A few days ago I came across an article in a local Detroit entertainment newspaper called, "Metrotimes" that took a different approach on coverage of J-Dilla's life. This article shared personal quotes and stories from Jay's friends, family and peers, which gives a closer look into the man himself. I decided to share some of the quotes about Dilla that stood out to me, so check them out below.....


Baatin (Founding Slum Village Member): "Anybody that knew him would tell you the way he used to crack up laughing at jokes could make you laugh."

T3 (Slum Village Member): "He started the whole neo-soul thing. He kept soul rap - Common, Kanye, the Roots, Talib Kweli - goin' for the last eight years."

Wajeed (Platinum Pied Pipers): "The reason I started to make music was Dilla."

Dank (Frank N Dank): "I used to get F's in music class until James showed me how to play the instruments the right way."

Proof (D12): "He heard things different - had that light in his eyes - when it came to being creative."

Mr. Porter (D12): "Dilla was so ahead of the game, that nigga was damn near an alien with his beats!"

Dwele (Singer): "I remember watching him sing on the song "Think Twice," from the Welcome 2 Deteroit album. I never thought it was possible to smoke a blunt and sing at the same time."

Pete Rock (DJ/Producer): "His mom told me, "You're his idol." That's all good, but he took the inspiration and did him with it."

Jazzy Jeff (DJ/Producer): "I cried for days and will probably shed a tear every time I play one of his many gems."

Karriem Riggins (Producer): "He use to just give me records out of his own collection, out of love, and it's not a lot brothers that share themselves like that."

Bilal (Soul Singer): "Jay could step into a studio and play bass, piano, drums or whatever. He was like the Prince of hiphop."

Madlib
(Producer): "The whole time Dilla was sick, he was still making music. Ain't nobody else that serious about making music that I know. He's the best, plain and simple."

Q-tip
(Rapper): "Talented. Soft-spoken. Very focused. Beautiful brother!"

Read the full "Dilla: The Real Deal" article here....



I decided to put together a mix of some of my favorite Jay Dee produced tracks.

Download the "J Dilla Lives On MegaMixx" here 4 a limited time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay Dee , the production tracks put together were on point. Much love ATL

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»