Wednesday, February 13, 2008

SOUND SPOT: JOSE' JAMES
I'm about to change up the music pace around the piece with this next kat that I'm about to speak on right now. He may not look like it at first glance, but this dude Jose' James is a jazz musician and he's definitely serious with his. My dude Synflood turned me on to this dude, and now I'm doing the same for you. Let me start off by saying that Mr. James is on the come up right now and he's redefining the whole contemporary music movement. He effortlessly combines jazz, hip-hop, soul and blues into an original sound that he can call his own. Some of his musical influences include Marvin Gaye, Billie Holiday and John Coltrane, which is obvious at times when you listen to his music. Jose' is a proud New York native that definitely has that East Coast swagger, but don't confuse him with a local rapper from around the way though. He sports his fitteds, t-shirts and jeans, but dats about it when it comes to any rapper comparisons.

He's a true vocalist that reminds of me of the days when so-called singers could actually sing! His music is deep and lyrics are even deeper at times. What you need to do is listen to his latest album called "The Dreamer" and get dose of what Mr. James is bringing to the musical table. The album is hot in my opinion, but I truly enjoy this type of music. It's that Saturday afternoon chilling at the house type music.

Since, I have such a wide array of visitors that come through this site on the regular, I already know some of you will hear Jose' do his thing and think it stinks? If that's the case, I suggest you give yourself some time to get familiar with his sound. Don't think of this type of music as fast-food, because it's more like a 5-course meal with dessert afterwards. It takes time to appreciate music like this, so be patient and give your ears a chance to digest what's being heard.

Check out Jose' do his thing during a live session:



Peep his sites out too:

www.myspace.com/josejamesquartet

www.josejamesmusic.com

2 comments:

Rasheed said...

Yo, this cat is dope and he reminds me of a young Gil Scott Heron. Thanks for turning us on to this cat.

Peace

Rasheed Allah

DJ SoundNexx said...

@Rasheed - No problem playa! I'm glad you are diggin' his style. Thanks for coming thru...